Last week, I returned from a beautiful one month vacation back in the States. I spent time back home in Massachusetts catching up with family and friends, lying down on the beach, playing in the ocean and of course eating lots of good food that I didn’t cook– thus, my hiatus from blogging. It was a lovely time and I feel truly blessed to have had such a relaxing, long holiday. I did miss writing about my culinary adventures, gardening and spending time in the kitchen at home.
When I returned from vacation, I was met with a garden overflowing with tomatoes from a plant grown wild, an abundant supply of chili peppers, a foot high sage plant, among other delights. In addition, I had to pick up a bag of veggies from my local garden coop. To top it all off, yesterday, we invited my husband’s family over and they bought along a gigantic basket of Swiss chard (my challenge to get my Swiss husband to enjoy Swiss chard continues), green beans, leeks, peppers, squash, potatoes, cauliflower from their garden. My fridge is officially packed to capacity (Foreshadowing alert: Lots of veggie recipes to follow in the future)!
Here’s an incredibly easy recipe using zucchini, squash and pasta. This meal took a whopping 25 minutes to throw together, it’s light, nutritious and delicious. It has a tangy, slightly spicy and bold flavor.
Tangy Zucchini and Squash Pasta
- Pasta of choice (basic, wheat, rice, gluten-free)
- 2 small zucchini and squash or 1 large of each
- seasoning: red pepper, sea salt, black pepper
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 and 1 TBSP lemon juice
- basil (about 2 TBSP chopped, more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 385 F (app 195 C)
- Place sliced veggies in a baking pan, toss in olive oil and 2 TBSP of lemon juice. Season and cover with pan top or aluminum foil.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until squash are a medium consistency and slightly golden in color.
- Pour 1 TBSP of lemon juice over mixture. Serve over pasta and toss chopped basil on top and grated Parmesan, if desired. Enjoy!